It’s that time of the year when I get excited to see new skincare launches from some of my favourite brands. I think it is when brands bring the best in the market as the skin needs more attention than any other time of the year. I love to start swapping my lighter skincare products for richer texture plus I like to introduce nightly treatments to soothe and boost my skin’s hydration and radiance. There are quite some amazing skincare launches, and some I’ve already introduced into my skincare routine (you can find the review post here).
I have a dry skin texture that needs more attention during the wintertime as the dryness in the weather and dry air blowing out from Furness starts making its way, my skin appears dull and fine lines show up more. I have become a master of how to deal with it. I majorly change my skincare routine in the fall and for winter I only swap or replace some moisturizers depending on how my skin feels.
I am going to start back by rotating the use of retinol more frequently in my skincare routine (I just started with it but only once a week) and will share a full blog post on some of the best formulas and how it works on different skin texture as well as how to start retinol into your skincare routine very soon.
Here are a few steps to take to be on top of your skincare routine this fall season along with 5 product recommendations:
Layer Skincare Products
In the same way, as you start to layer your clothing as cooler months start to show up, it’s important to layer your skincare during the season and depending on how the day feels, you can add or cut the skincare items accordingly. Adding an extra layer of skincare products such as essence, mist, or serum will make a huge difference in how your skin will look during these months. You can never go wrong with any of these products.
- Cle de Peau Beaute Hydro-Softening Lotion is a skincare item I can’t live without, it is an essence but has richness in it. This is one skincare item I like to reintroduce into my fall skincare routine. You can find full details in this Post.
- La Prairie White Caviar Essence Extraordinaire Treatment Lotion is one of the best softening lotions that prep my skin for my skincare routine while it brightens and adds radiance immediately. Fully reviewed here.
- Fresh Beauty Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence is one item that I can’t recommend enough for its performance it gives to add hydration and plumpness to the skin. It’s an essence that is must have in a good skincare routine. Fully reviewed here.
- I have been really impressed with Kiehls Ferulic Brew Facial Treatment Essence with Lactic Acid, it almost feels like Kombucha Facial Essence but with a little more intense formula to add extra brightness to the skin. If you have dark spots this formula definitely works great. Featured in this post.
- Facial mists are my favourite, especially before a workout and the YSL Nu Dewy Mist Hydrating Face Spray with Hyaluronic Acid & Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist
Shop My Favorites
Add Rich Skincare Formulas
As we reach dry and cooler months, especially in North America, not only the weather the Furness blowing out the dry air take out all the moisture from the skin, leaving it dull and dry regardless of skin texture. There is quite a number of moisturizers that are rich but don’t feel heavy at all. Linking some of my favourites below.
- Sulwhasoo Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Cream has been one of the most amazing formulas, fully reviewed here. It has a light but rich texture that soothes and nourishes the skin simultaneously. I have been loving it in my morning skincare routine for the past couple of months.
- U Beauty The Super Hydrator is a serum moisturizer that is quite nourishing and is not heavy but rich that adds that immediate glow to the skin. Find full details in this post.
- Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme+ Youth Power Creme Moisturizer is something you can use all year long, I love that is an on-the-go moisturizer that you can use any time of the year. Fully reviewed here.
- It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream has been my on-the-go easy and simple moisturizer that is super hydrating and has been one of my & my hubby’s favourite formulas.
- Glow Recipe Plum Plump Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer if there is one brand that is affordable and that works amazing is the Glow Recipe brand and this moisturizer is one of my all-time favourites. This moisturizer is light but loaded with goodness, find details in this post.
Shop My Favorites
Avoid Exfoliating & Chemical Peels
I have never been a huge lover of exfoliating and chemical Peels, I personally use them once or twice a year. But if exfoliating is a skincare routine for you then step back during these months. Both exfoliating and chemical peels can be beneficial only if you know your skin and how to use it the right way. It actually strips the skin and adds inflammation to the skin if you overdo which will lead to skin discolorations. It is always important to use gentle formulas during the winter season if you choose to exfoliate or use chemical peels as the harsh and dry weather already adds sensitivity and inflammation to the skin.
I would suggest using formulas that come in form of serum that is not only gentle enough but they’re also formulated along with other ingredients that will help soothe & repair the skin. Here are my favourite ones:
- Guerlain Abeille Royale Double R Renew & Repair Advanced Serum is one of the best formulas while resurfacing AHAs and PHAs that resurfaces skin the white honey in the formula helps restore and nourish the skin immediately for smoother and brighter-looking skin. I just can’t recommend this enough, it’s been in my morning skincare routine consecutively. Fully reviewed here.
- Glow Recipe Strawberry Smooth BHA + AHA Salicylic Acid Serum I love this formula, it’s gentle and easy to incorporate into your skincare day/night routine. It’s hydrating and literally takes care of dark spots for you. You can find details in this post.
- Fenty Beauty Pre-Show Glow Instant Retexturizing 10% AHA Treatment + Reusable Applicator is one chemical peel I love the most, and I can really use it without having the fear of damage to my skin. I only use it when I need it (before an occasion and only once a week for two weeks), I personally find the applicator super harsh. I use my finger to apply and go over my complexion only for 30 minutes. You can find the details in this post.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Ultra Gentle Daily Peel Pads for Sensitive Skin is probably the best chemical peel you can get, but it’s a treatment you need once in a while. I use it only once a year, once a week for about 2-3 weeks.
- When it comes to actual face scrub I only like the Cle de Peau Beauty Skin-Refining Clay Scrub, I love that the formula is super gentle, and doesn’t irritate the skin while it nourishes the skin. Skin doesn’t feel tight or stiff after its use. Reviewed this post.
Shop My Favorites
Try Overnight Treatments
There isn’t like anything like that adds that extra plumpness and smoothness to your skin like the overnight treatments. This is one kinda skincare step that you will wake up with the most nourished, soft and smooth skin in the morning and definitely in the long run you’ll see how it changes your skin. Some of these treatments are harsh like retinol (I like to keep it simple) and you really need to work on introducing it slowly into your skincare routine. Here are my ultimate overnight/retinol treatments :
- La Prairie Skin Caviar Nighttime Oil is one I’ve been loving the most. If you know me, I love oils in my nightly routine, especially during the fall/winter time and this product has changed how my skin looks. it’s definitely pricy but a little goes a long way. Fully reviewed here.
- It Cosmetics Hello Results Wrinkle-Reducing Daily Retinol Serum-in-Cream is one I started my retinol journey with. It’s a very gentle formula and if you’re looking to start with a retinol formula this is probably the safest. And right now It Cosmetics is having its Holiday Saving Event (buy more save more), I am obsessed with the brand and highly recommend trying this formula if you’re looking for a retinol moisturizer. You can find the full review in this post.
- Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream has also been one of the best and safest retinol formulas to start with. I have actually used up the entire jar and it’s been a good treatment for me. Fully reviewed here.
- Trinny London Overnight Clarity Moisturizer This is a hydrating overnight treatment formulated with retinoids. It carries active retinal and niacinamide in the formulation that helps with fine lines and wrinkles as well as redness on the skin. I love that the formula is gentle enough and well-tolerated for most skin types. The combination of retinal and niacinamide is well put together to help with hyperpigmentation and fine lines while it strengthening the skin’s barrier. This is something you can use every single night to get that nice clear skin in the morning.
- Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Eye Cream is you’re someone like me that suffers from under eye fine lines and wrinkles due to dryness then this is one formula that smooths out the under-eye area while the formula is gentle enough to use on such delicate skin. I also like to use it a little over my lips to get them plump. Fully reviewed here.
OverNight masks/leave-in treatments:
- Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask is a one-step skincare product that immediately adds radiance and hydration.
- Drunk Elephant F-Balm Electrolyte Waterfacial Mask is a highly hydrating mask that is formulated with a cocktail of electrolyte ingredients as well as Niacinamide that helps improve the sign of aging.
- It Cosmetic Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Night Cream has been one of the best night moisturizers that immediately add plumpness to the skin.
- Guerlain Abeille Royale Advanced Youth Watery Oil is one of the best ways to add facial oils to your skincare routine. It’s light and works as 3 step skincare routine.
- Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Face Oil is a hydrating and easy oil to wear without irritating the skin.
- Laura Mercier Nourishing Rose Oil For Face & Body is the most hydrating. nourishing and calming facial oil I’ve used. I usually like to use this before my makeup application during the winter months.
Shop My Favourites
I hope this post help you find the right products and routine for this season. If you have sensitive + dry skin like me then you’ll find these products quite nourishing and hydrating. I will be preparing another post on how to select your skincare products with high active ingredients.