As promised here I have my updated skincare routine + testing roundup of products. Summer season is here and I have changed my skincare routine on a daily and weekly basis. This year I have been wearing fewer makeup products than I had before yet I’ve been trying some new treatments to brighten my sun + dark spots, especially during the summertime which has dramatically changed the way my skin looked on past summer days. I do take breaks from testing skincare products with some healing skincare items that are great when you need that short recovery time from heavy treatments, it will be mentioned below.
My skin has been really dry for the past decade. The cold and harsh winter Canadian climate put up a toll on my skin since I’ve called it home. I have gone through a good discovery time to find my way on how to treat dry and sensitive skin through years and I am proud to say that I have achieved what I attempted to make my skin look like about 10 years ago. My main concerns have always been keeping the skin well hydrated, smooth (especially under the eye area) plus brighten up the dark spots on my complexion that take me to go through some acid treatments from time to time. I have never had any acne issues or breakouts – only when I feel lazy to take off my makeup but that takes a couple of days to go away without any treatments.
This year there were quite some new and amazing skincare launches that I was able to totally swap my tried and true products with new ones. Much of my summer skincare products are quite new + testing. In this post, I will share everything you need to know plus I use them at the end.
Cleanser + Makeup Removers
Although I haven’t been wearing a lot of makeup for the past year yet I do keep my double cleaning seriously. I find the Lancome Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover has been my favourite to remove my eye makeup and recently I have discovered the Eeyeko Off in a Blink Biphasic Eye Makeup Remover which does a pretty good job in removing the eye makeup.
Micellaire cleansers play a huge role in my makeup removing steps, especially on my lazy days. I can’t replace my La Prairie’s Crystal Micellar Water Eyes & Face for the fact that I can only use this alone and it cleans my skin like crystal clear yet the Biotherm’s Sensibio H2O Micellar Water is my all-time favourite + affordable option.
For cleansing the complexion, there is nothing like a good balm cleanser to melt away the makeup + not strip away the skin. At the moment My current favourite is the Versed Day Dissolve Cleansing Balm (only for the face), it melts away the makeup and impurities immediately and without any stripping moisture from the skin but you might find the scent slightly too strong. The Glow Recipe’s Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover is a favourite which I have swapped with my Eve Lom Balm Cleanser and for the fact that I can use it on my eyes safely to remove access eye makeup.
For traditional rinse-off cleansing:
- Kiehl’s Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Herbal Cleanser + Glow Reciepe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser are nice gel cleansers that works the best during the summer time.
- Cle de Peau Softiening Cleansing Foam is quite amazing for dry skin and its my favorite.
- It Cosmetics Confidence in Cleanser is my all time favorite for any skin type.
Essences + Activating Serums
Toner’s aren’t a thing for me but essences + activating serums boost my skin’s hydration level and adds that extra glow to my skin. My Current go-to activating serums are the Sulwahasoo First Care Activating Serum along with the Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Serum Concentrate, they’re both essential to my morning skincare routine and nourishes the skin for that youthful feel. For essence, I have been enjoying the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA +BHA Pore-Toner during the summer season for its cooling effect. Other formulas I have tried including the new Kiehl’s Ferulic Brew Facial Treatment Essence with Lactic Acid a week ago which has a brightening and gentle peeling effect. I have used lactic Acid before but nothing that I can compare this formula with. I was quite impressed with how it soothes and changed my skin texture with a week of its use. The Fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence has been an all-time favourite, it is infused with hyaluronic acid + anti-ageing components which I have been able to swap up with the new Kiehl’s Ferulic Brew Facial Treatment Essence with Lactic Acid this season.
My list for Moisturizers is always long, this is for the fact that I do layer my moisturizers almost all the time but during this summertime, I kept them very lightweight. Every year I see my skin look better than the year before and this year my skin looks and feels super hydrated so I was able to only use serums and swap away my moisturizer with my sunscreen. I feel using lighter skincare gives a better finish for the foundation during the summer season. My favourite serum has probably been La Prairie Skin Caviar Liquid Lift but I’ve found a couple of new serums that are quite nice for resurfacing the skin + soothing the skin’s texture and much affordable. Here is a list of serum’s I have been reaching out to:
- Guerlain Abeille Royale Double R Serum is a serum that I have been reaching out quite often for the past couple of months. It has a soft-peel treatment to effectively diminish the visible signs of aging plus adds a natural radiance to the skin. This has helped my skin with its texture for the past couple of months.
- Dermalogica Smart Response Serum is antoher favorite at the moment. It protects skin by using four actives that hydrate, brighten, soothe, and address the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. I absloutley love the lightweight texture, and I can easily wear it under my foundation for make it look fresh.
- bareMinerals Skinlongevity Long Life Herb Anti-Aging Face Serum is mineral-rich long life herb and niacinamide, which has light texture and improves skin texture plus brightens up the skin. It has a nice soothing effect again I love to prep my skin with his serum for a makeup day.
Facial oils are essential to my nightly skincare routine and the La Prarie Pure Gold Radiance Concentrate Oil has been the only one I have been reaching out to.
For eyes, I have quite some new treatments that are light and perfect for my fine lines. I have been really impressed with Lancome’s Advanced Génifique Anti-Aging Eye Cream + Absolue Revitalizing Eye Cream. Both have transformed the way my under eyes looked. I have also been loving the Abeille Royale Anti-Aging Eye Lifting Serum for its visible lifting effect on the under-eye area. At this time of year, I don’t layer my eye creams but I have been alternating between the serum and cream.
*Tip: it’s important to use an activating serum or mist just before your serum especially if you’re using a Hyaluronic Acid. It will help the ingredient to get into the skin barrier easily plus you need to lock in the moisture with another moisturizer.
Brightening + Retexturizing Treatments
I have had my dark spots and frickles from childhood that has gotten quite visible for the past couple of years. I do get brightening treatments especially during the winter months because I cannot avoid sun exposure during the summertime but this year I have managed to add some acid treatments to my nightly skincare routine that has really changed how my skin looks. Some I use on my daily skincare routine yet some I get on my Friday facials on weekly basis to get rid of dead skin, keep my pores clean + brighten the uneven texture. When it comes to treatments everyone’s skin varies depending on their skin tolerance.
Masks have been a great way to treat my skin. The best exfoliating treatment masks are the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial Mask and Ole Henriksen’s PHAT Glow Facial Mask which I use once a week or every other week depending on how my skin feels. I love that they’re gentle and brightens up my skin immediately. I have stopped using Retinol treatment for the past couple of months but I will go back once there is less sun exposure instead I have been using some vitamin C serums that have been working quite amazing on my skin that includes the Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Correcting Serum from Kiehl”s + the new It Cosmetics Vitamin C serum (it’s AMAZING!!). Both are quite effective and gentle on my sensitive skin.
Hydrating Facial Masks
My long-time readers know I have obsessions over-hydrating masks and sheet masks. For masks, I like soothing and calming formulas with gentle plumping properties. I do once a week sleeping mask treatment plus once a week morning mask that is included in my Friday facials. Here are few favourite Sleeping masks that I can swear by.
- La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask is one of the best sleeping mask that i have ever tried. It’s my magic pot where i get that exceptional engergized skin in the morning when i need that boost.
- Glow Recipe Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask is a new innovation to clay mask. The formula is infused with hyaluroic acid soit hydrates the skin immediatly plus has a pore tightening effect.
- Laneige Water Sleeping Mask been one of my all time favorite. I do rotate my facial sleeping masks. This one hydrates skin insanly with an amazing price range.
- Shisiedo White Lucent Overnight Cream & Mask is another all time favorite one, it does has a high level of parfum which might effect on how your skin reacts to parfum. But other than that is a must have.
Here are few other calming masks I use once a week. Kiehl’s Calendula Petal-Infused Calming Mask is a very soothing and hydrating mask that nourishes skin immediately. I have also been testing the jasmine and Lily Healing Mask which is an incredibly soothing mask.
When it comes to sheet masks I have recently been introduced to Vital Perfection LiftDefine Radiance Face Mask from Shiseido which is an amazing lifting and soothing effect + I have just tested the Knesko Nanogold Repair Treatment Face Mask that has exceptional repairing and uplifting effect on the skin. They’re both worth the splurge and I would highly recommend them for a well hydrated and smooth skin look.
As a mask lover, I am excited to announce that the Laneige Lip mask now is available at a new peach scent. i have always loved their lip masks and this one is super cute.
I am really picky when it comes to sunscreens especially what I put on my face matters most for how it stays up plus the scent plays a huge role. I am a long-time lover of La Prairie’s Cellular Swiss UV Protection Veil Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 for more than 3 years now and it’s one of the skincare items that I haven’t found an affordable replacement. I believe it is worth every penny and is essential to your skincare routine, I have already gone through 3 packs for the past couple of years. I have been a long-time + hardcore lover for the Shishied’s sun protections in general and I have a full post on their entire range here. The Future Solution LX Universal Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ is what I use on my complexion. I have also recently discovered sunscreen products from Vichy which I was really impressed with. Two of the sunscreen formulas that are on my radar are the Clé De Peau Beauté UV Protective Cream SPF 50+ and the Sisley-Paris Sunleÿa SPF 50+.
Currrent Skincare routine
Morning Skincare Routine:
- I start with Sulwahasoo First Care Activating Serum which I find immediatly nourishes my skin plus offers claming and soothing feel right in the morning.
- Right after and before my essence dryies out I use the Kiehl’s Ferulic Brew Facial Treatment Essence with Lactic Acid immediatly to awaken my skin.
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Hyaluronic Acid for extra hydration. It has been working incredibly on my skin especially on my find lines around the eye area as well adds extra plumpness.
- Guerlain Abeille Royale Double R Serum been one i have been using since I got my hands on and it has a very soft peeling effect and creates look of new skin by supporting skin’s natural renewal cycle.
- Lancome Absolue Revitalizing Eye Cream has a very nice texture not too heavy but enough hydration to get you through the day and foundation goes well.
- La Prairie Cellular Swiss Sunscreen is a must have especially for summer season. I have never been impressed with any other skincare products than this one. It protects and adds extra glow to the skin.
Night Skincare Routine:
- Days I wear makeup I keep my double cleansing with the Glow Recipe’s Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover.
- Nightly I like to do my cleansing process with the Kiehl’s Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Herbal Cleanser or Glow Reciepe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser. Both are quite nice for summer time.
- Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Serum Concentrate in spray form is my favorite to awake my skin and prep it for my skincare products.
- I treat my dark spots with the new It Cosmetics New Bye Bye Vitamin C Serum which I have replaced with Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Correcting Serum and have seen a huge results within the two weeks.
- Depending on weather I use the Guerlain Abeille Royale Anti-Aging Eye Lifting Serum + Lancome’s Advanced Génifique Anti-Aging Eye Cream which are one of my favorite formula to keep the under eye area well hydrated.
- It Cosmetic’s Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Night Cream is my favorite to use at the night time.
- I like to use the La Prairie’s Pure Gold Radiance Concentrate Oil to finish my skincare.
Every Friday I do change my facial prodcuts but here is a quick peak on what steps i use.
- Just rediscovered my Ultime8 Sublime Beauty Cleansing Oil in its Limited Edition. I have a full review on the entire collection here. But love to use oil cleansers on my friday facials.
- Glow Reciepe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser is my favorite at the moment.
- To add glow and remove any death skin cells from skin right now I use the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial Mask or Ole Henriksen’s PHAT Glow Facial Mask to immdeiatly treat my skin.
- I love to use the Esthederm Cellular Water Mist or other claming essenses mentioned above.
- Have been loving the U beauty resuracing Compound which I will have some their product put out in full review soon. All I can say right now I am IMPRESSED!!
- Finishing it off with Vital Perfection Uplifting and Firming Cream from Shiseido.
Saturday Sleeping Mask Ritual:
Many of you know I am obssesed over the Sleeping mask ritual that adds extra hydration to my skin. I have a list of my favorite Sleeping Masks right above and I get to try them every week randomly.
And that’s all for this time of year. This is a full detialed summer skincare post for you all to learn whats new + how to use them on your skin care routine. I do wanted to mention that it has taken a while for me to find my way and get to the routine yet still i do miss some mornings and nightly skincare routine time to time but I am very happy to say that its rare. I want to esure you that just getting into the skincare routine makes a huge difference on how your skin looks and feels like.
Let me know how your skincare steps looks like? do you find this post helpfull?